Vernonia Springs is truly the “jumping off point” for the Banks-Vernonia State Trail. We are now offering bicycle rentals so you can cruise the 21 mile paved “rails-to-trails” bicycle trail that runs from Banks to Vernonia. The BV Trail is also part of the Tualatin Valley Scenic Bikeway. Vernonia Springs is located 6 miles up the trail from downtown Vernonia and 15 miles from Banks in the Tualatin Valley. The trail entrance at Vernonia Springs is less than 200 feet from the straw bale day lodge.
If you don’t bring your own bikes … we are now offering Trek Verve 2 hybrid bike rentals for the more aggressive rider and Townie comfort cruiser bikes for the folks who want to ride in total comfort and style. These bikes allow riders of all levels of fitness to comfortably enjoy this amazing trail. Be prepared for a great day of fun! Bike rentals rates are $25 half-day (four hours), $35 full-day (8 hours) and $49 (24 hours). For more information contact us HERE to reserve your bikes in advance. Please indicate # of bikes, style of bike (Verve or Townie), men’s or women’s and date and time for pickup.
BV Cruiser Ride. Most Popular (difficulty – easy). Once you get to Vernonia Springs rent one of our cruiser bikes and take a relaxing 12-14 mile ride into downtown Vernonia (12 miles round trip). If you ride out to Vernonia Lake this adds 2 miles to your trip for a total round trip of 14 miles. The BV Cruiser Rider option is considered an easy ride that is very family friendly.
BV Challenge Ride. (difficulty – moderate) If you are looking for a more challenging ride then this option may be what you are looking for. Rent one of our Trek Hybrid Verve bikes so you can stand up on the peddles if needed for the hilly portions of the trail. Check out Bike Rental Options Here. From Vernonia Springs to Banks (BV Trail Head) is approximately 15 miles (30 miles round trip). On the way you can check out Stub Stewart State Park (approximately 4 miles from Vernonia Springs).
Fly and Bike – Fly into PDX and take public transportation to Everybody Bikes. Rent your touring bike. Jump on the Max light rail blue line and follow the trip log below until you arrive at Vernonia Springs to stay the night. For an extended adventure, on the second day ride from Vernonia Springs and ride to the historic and beautiful city of Astoria on the Oregon Coast. Vernonia Springs will pack a bag lunch for your journey!
It is approximately 27 miles from the Hatfield Government Center MAX station in Hillsboro to Vernonia Springs. Vernonia Springs to Astoria is approximately 66.2 miles.
Portland to Hillsboro Trip Log
- 0.0 Take the Hillsboro TriMet MAX train to the Hatfield Government Center MAX station (end of the line).
- 0.03 Exit the station and travel west (left) on NW Main St.
- 0.16 Right on NW Cornell St.
- 0.6 Left on NW Garibaldi St.
- 0.9 Right on NW 10th Ave.
- 1.4 NW 10th turns into NW Padgett Rd at a bend in the road.
- 2.3 Turn right to stay on NW Padgett Rd.
- 3.7 Cross NW Hornecker Rd and dogleg left onto NW Leisy Rd. Railroad tracks ahead.
- 5.6 Left on NW Wren Rd. Railroad tracks ahead.
- 6.0 Right on NW Cornelius-Schefflin Rd.
- 8.9 Left on NW Roy Rd. Railroad tracks ahead.
- 10.9 Left on NW Wilkesboro Rd.
- 12.1 Right onto Rte 47; pass under the railroad bridge into the town of Banks.
- 12.1 Turn right to access the Banks-to-Vernonia Trailhead at the corner of NW Seller and NW Banks roads.
- 19.8 The trail has a slight incline until about the 20 mile mark just before the descent to the Tophill Trailhead; narrow and steep terrain is made easier to navigate by switchbacks in the trail on both sides of the road.
- 33.1 Follow the trail without diverting until shortly after Anderson Park.
- 33.94 Turn right .84 miles after Anderson Park to follow the trail around Lake Vernonia which brings you back to the start in a one mile loop. Follow the trail without diverting to the Banks to Vernonia Trailhead.
- 54.94 Right out of the trailhead parking lot to the traffic light.
- 56.14 Left onto Rte 47.
- 58.14 Left onto NW Wilkesboro Rd.
- 61.04 Right onto NW Roy Rd. Railroad tracks ahead.
- 63.94 Right onto NW Cornelius-Schefflin Rd.
- 64.34 Left onto NW Wren Rd. Railroad tracks ahead.
- 67.24 Cross NW Hornecker Rd and dogleg right onto NW Leisy Rd.
- 68.64 Turn left to stay on NW Padgett Rd.
- 69.54 NW Padgett Rd turns into NW 10th at a bend in the road.
- 70.04 Right on NW 10th Ave.
- 70.48 Left on NW Garibaldi St.
- 70.61 Right on NW Cornell St.
- 70.64 Left on W Main St and return to Hatfield Government Center MAX station.